Study in Dubai
Dubai is the largest and the most populated city in the United Arab Emirates. Dubai is a land of culture and opportunity. 200 ethnicities contribute 2,780,000 residents to the city. Dubai is strategically located and is at the center of trade, making Dubai an ideal location. Residents enjoy ultra-modern architecture, tax-free living, and modern technology. Dubai sees a large number of international visitors that visit the city to experience luxury stays. Underpinning all the luxury is the rich Arabic culture.
Why study in Dubai?
- Studying in Dubai is an investment for the future. Obtaining a degree from Dubai can add leaps to a student’s education and career.
- Dubai has many world-class universities that contribute to elevated levels of learning.
- Tax-free earning is another major factor drawing many international students to the UAE.
- Students from Jordan, India, Pakistan, Oman, Syrian Arabic Republic are among others that study in the UAE.
- There are 13, 370 Indians studying in Dubai as of 2017. The Rochester Institute of Technology has 22 percent of Indian students studying on its campus.
Universities in the UAE
As an Indian student deciding to study in the UAE, one may like to consider the mentioned are a list of universities offering the best education
- Abu Dhabi University
- Amity Education Group
- Curtin University
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education
- Murdoch University
- University of Birmingham
MBA : Like most countries, MBA courses are the most popular and among the top courses pursued by Indian students in Dubai. Most of the top business schools have their branches in Dubai; this enhances opportunities for business graduates.
Moreover, courses are structured to be industry-oriented. Some of the best business schools in Dubai –
- London Business School
- Manchester Business School
- Cass Business School
- University of Wollongong
- American University
- HULT International Business School etc.
Engineering: The business environment of Dubai is heavily dependent on technology, and this is evident in its ultramodern architecture. The finest universities offering world-class engineering study are –
- American University in Dubai
- University of Dubai
Mechanical Engineering sees the highest enrollment of international students, and certainly so, opportunities in the field are umpteen, and not limited to Dubai but across the UAE.
Accounts and Finance: Accounting and Finance is a highly popular choice of study. Finance graduates are hugely popular in the employment space.
Medicine: The field of medicine over the years has seen an increasing number of enrolments from international students. The majority of students from Asian countries as well and some from other countries are seeing Dubai as an emerging place for international studies.
International students do not come to the UAE only to experience learning from reputed universities, but also because of lucrative employment opportunities.
Work while studying in the UAE
Indian students in Dubai can work for 20 hours a week and 40 hours on holidays after seeking the permission of their university. Likewise, a student is required to take the consent of their university before accepting an internship.
An Indian student studying in Dubai potentially earns 15-30 AED per hour from their part-time jobs. International students see this opportunity as a way to acquire practical knowledge and support their expenses. There are many positives to working while studying as an international student.
UAE law and university sponsorship
A student with a university sponsorship is required to obtain a work permit to work legally in the UAE. The UAE labor department issues work permits to students.
Working on Campus
Most universities in Dubai allow students to work on-campus. Universities believe that working allows a student to gain hands-on experience, extending over academics.
Students are employed in libraries, college and administrative offices, departments, or across university outlets.
Scholarships for Indian students
Dubai is among the best places to study in Asia and the world. Study overseas is a costly affair; the government of UAE lightens this economic burden on students by making scholarships available. Mentioned is a list of scholarships an Indian student can avail to support their study in UAE –
- Outstanding Academic Excellence ScholarshipsScholarships for Undergraduate Programmes at BITS Pilani, Dubai
- 2011 Masdar Institute Fully Funded Master Scholarships
- International Student Tuition Scholarships
- SP Jain Center of SPG Management Global MBA Program
- The Indian High School Dubai Scholarships
- HH Sheikh Hamdan Scholarships
- The SKP Scholarship (Pathak Scholarships)
- Multicultural Student Scholarship (MSS)
- Hamdan Bin Zayed Scholarships for Top Secondary School Graduates
Cost of studying in the UAE as an Indian student
Cost of studying in the UAE varies across universities, location, and the level of education in pursue.
- Undergraduate education programs cost between – 37,500 to 70,000 AED per year
- Postgraduate education cost between – 55,000 to 75,000 AED per year
Universities charge students based on 12 to 16 hours of credit. Credit hours below or above permissible credit hours comes with a fee. Some universities charge on the number of tuition hours a student takes.
Cost of living in Dubai
An Indian student studying in Dubai spends AED 1200 per month on general living expenses.
Accommodation in Dubai
Cost for accommodation varies with the student’s choice of on-campus accommodation to private accommodation.
On-campus accommodation could range between AED 14,500 – AED 27,500.
Private accommodation could range between AED 70,000 – AED 1,90,000
Education System of Dubai
The Education system of Dubai comprises Primary and Secondary education. Education is a 14 year four-tire process.
90 percent of education is offered through private bodies. Up until 2001, public schools were not open to ex-pat students, leading to a large number of private institutions in Dubai.
Higher Education in Dubai
- The United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) consists of 9 colleges; the Government of UAE considered the UAEU as the leading teaching and research body in the country.
- There are 4 Higher Colleges of Technology (HCT) across the UAE, 17 campuses of the HCT offer over 75 different courses. The Center of Applied Research and Training, in association with multinational companies, offer training and professional development.
- The Zayed University was initially only open to women, but over the years has seen a sizable population of male students.
There are 507 international schools in Dubai. 35 international universities offer one or more than four International Baccalaureate Programs.
The Michigan State University and Rochester Institute of Technology, American University in Emirates – branches of US-based universities have chosen Dubai as their center. While, The New York Institute of Technology, New York University (NYU), is based in Abu Dhabi.
Education Free Zones in Dubai
Many countries, including India, Pakistan, and the UK, have established their universities in Dubai’s education zone. The Dubai Knowledge Village brings together international universities, training centers, and research and development companies in a one kilometer radius.
Saint-Petersburg State, University of Engineering and Economics, University of Wollongong, Mahatma Gandhi University, and the Manchester Business School are among the 16 universities operating from the Dubai Knowledge Village. Some of these universities over the years moved to the Dubai International Academic City, which is a larger free zone in Dubai.
An Indian student planning to study in the UAE is required to possess a student visa.
- As a freshman, the student is required to provide an acceptance letter from a university or college in the UAE.
- Older students are required to provide a certificate of continuation of study
- Students are required to pass a medical test
- Either the university, parent, or a relative could stand as a visa sponsor
- Approval of the relevant General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA)
A fresh student visa is valid for a period of one year and is renewed for the same period on submission of a certificate of continuation. It can cost up to AED 3,000 with an additional deposit of AED 1,000
Post Study Work Permit
Work permits are issued by the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE). To secure a work permit, the candidate is required to apply with the MoHRE.
With a work permit, a candidate is allowed to enter the UAE for purposes of work for two months.
Within the period of these two months, the candidates sponsoring company makes arrangements for medical checks, UAE Resident Identity (Emirates ID) Card, Labour Card, and stamping the work residency permit on their passport. The work residency permit signifies that the employee is sponsored by their company.