The United States for long has been the leading destination for overseas education. As a non-US citizen, you are required to obtain a US student visa. The process of visa application is both tedious and lengthy, and hence it is advised that you prepare at least three to five months prior to course commencement. To be acquainted with the process of applying it is important to visit the US Embassy and Consulates India website for updated information.
To begin the process a student is first required to possess –
- Acceptance into a school approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)
- Pay the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee
- Completed the visa application process – providing the needed documents and a recent photograph
- Pay the visa application fee
- Schedule and attend the visa interview.
The Visa application and Documentation process
After receiving admission into a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) school, and having paid the SEVIS fee; you can start the process of application for a Student Visa with the US.
DS-160: Online Visa Application
- You begin the visa process by filling the DS-160 form.
- The DS-160 form requires certain documents; make sure to have them handy while filling out the form.
- You are needed to select the country from where you are applying, answer security questions, and then proceed to fill the other pages of the form.
- Save the Application ID; you will need it to revisit your form if you exit the application process.
- The form requires you to fill in your personal details –
- Name, address
- date of birth
- place of birth
- passport details
- travel plans
- details of previous visits to the USA
- a point on contact in the USA
- health insurance
- education details
- SEVIS ID
- Upload a fresh recent photograph of yourself
- Digitally sign your DS-160 form on completion
It is important to accurately fill in the requested details to avoid rescheduling your visa interview.
Know some interesting facts about Study abroad in USA.
Documents required during the Visa interview
- Passport having a validity of at least 6 months above your stay in the USA.
- Signed SEVIS Forms – I-20 or DS-2019
- Form DS-7002 (applicable for J-1 Trainee and Intern visa applicants only)
- SEVIS fee receipt
- DS-160 application page with barcode and application ID
- MRV fee payment confirmation receipt
- A printed copy of the visa interview appointment letter
- The prescribed number of photographs in the required format
- Diplomas or transcripts from previous institutions
- Scores from TOEFL, LSAT, GRE, GMAT, etc. as required by the educational institution
- Declaration of funds sufficient to support your tuition, travel and living expenses during your stay in the US.
Visa Application Fee
A student visa of types F and M – non-petition based have to pay a non-refundable fee of $160.00
Seek assistance from Envision Overseas
If you are associated with Envision Overseas and have an offer from any of the SEVP institutes in the US, we will guide you through the process of visa application. We ensure to provide you with the most accurate information and the latest developments in the process.
Our expert counsellors enable a hassle-free process of visa application by directing you to legitimate sources and official websites.
You are welcomed to contact us for any information you may need in the process of student visa application for USA, and we will guide you to the best of our abilities.